Wednesday, November 28, 2007

"Morgan Hill Rag" (Ron O'Dell) played by Tom Brier

Duration: 04:34 minutes
Upload Time: 2007-11-22 06:21:22
User: Keeper1st
:::: Favorites
:::: Top Videos of Day
Description:

I composed this rag in October 2007. It was a rare case of me writing music without having a title in mind ahead of time. It took longer to come up with a title than it did to compose the music. After two days of pondering, I suddenly remembered that I had wanted to write a rag for the 100th anniversary of the founding of the town of Morgan Hill, California, where I live. But that was in 2006, and I never got around to it... As this is a folksy rag, however, I figured naming it after a place was ideal, so that's what I did. Morgan Hill is not a geographic feature of the area (though it is bordered by mountains), but rather the name of a man who owned a ranch by which the Union Pacific train station was built in the late 19th century. Thus people referred to it as the Morgan Hill station, since that was less of a mouthful than the area's official name at the time: Rancho Ojo de Agua de la Coche. Tom Brier had first seen the sheet music for this rag at sometime after midnight on Friday night / early Saturday during the West Coast Ragtime Festival. He liked the rag so much that he played it in his 10:30 a.m. set Saturday morning. I was still waking up then, so I missed it. He was nice enough, however, to let me record him playing it again here at the post-festival party Sunday night, 18 November 2007. Tom's latest CD, Rewind, can be purchased here: http://cdbaby.com/cd/tombrier West Coast Ragtime Festival: http://www.westcoastragtime.com

Comments

theragtimefan ::: Favorites  2007-11-22 12:20:20

That is a very nice ragtime song!
__________________________________________________
theragtimefan ::: Favorites  2007-11-22 12:21:32

I like how u named it after your own town
__________________________________________________

No comments: